Maverick

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Liliana

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Liliana's Recital: 4 Seasons

Liliana's ballet and tap class runs from September to June and ends with a big, fancy recital. Each class does 2 numbers with 2 outfits. The theme this year was, "Four Seasons" and Lilana's group (which was the youngest in the show) performed "Peter Cottontail" for Spring and "Turkey in the Straw" for fall. She loved her dance class and although she was intimidated by her no-nonsense teacher, Miss Sharon, she loved her also. She took her practices seriously and was very excited to wear makeup and perform on a stage.
Her dress rehearsal was the first time I had ever put eye makeup (besides a swipe of glittery shadow) on her. The directions called for a smoky eye look with liner and mascara. I tried to do it on Liliana but her eyes were way too sensitive and she settled on just blush, mascara and lipstick. When I turned her around at my vanity to look in the mirror, she was startled by her appearance. She said, "I don't even look like me!" I told her that she looked like a dressed-up stage version of herself. I asked her if she liked it and she said, "I do like it, but why don't they want me to look like myself?" It made me so sad and I wanted to wipe the makeup off her face immediately. I assured her that everyone loves the way she looks, but sometimes you play dress up for the stage. I told her we could wipe it right off and that I would talk to her teacher and nobody would mind if she didn't want to do it. She said she did want to wear it and we took off for the theatre. I knew she wouldn't be nervous on stage (there isn't a shy bone in her body), but I was worried after the makeup comment that she wouldn't be as into all the hoopla as I thought she would. I shouldn't have worried...she loved every bit of it.
After her first dress rehearsal dance I asked her what she thought and if she had fun. She yelled, "I LOVED being on stage!! That was the best!" She had just as much fun at her next dress rehearsal the following day and couldn't wait to have Grammy, Poppa, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Stella, Giselle, Sarah, and Hesh in the audience cheering her on for her real show.
I was the stage mom for the group on the performance day and all of the little girls had so much fun getting ready and performing. Liliana danced for 2 days straight after the show and can't wait to perform again. When I asked her if she could see everyone she knew in the big audience she said with starry eyes and a big smile, "all I could see was big lights and people clapping! Was I the star of the show?"

Dress Rehearsal Day 1 





Dress Rehearsal Day 2 




Backstage on Show Day


Liliana with her award after the show...so proud


No comments: