We went to a new park with a group of friends and Liliana got her first bad ouchie. The park had a bridge that looked dangerous. I told all of my friends that someone was going to get hurt on it and I pulled Aubrey (one of the kids I nanny for) off. I thought Liliana could handle it because she is bigger, but I warned her to be careful and hold on to the sides. Within minutes Will fell off and was crying. I walked with Kristin to the car to get Will his water cup to help him calm down and I heard Lila's scream. I ran over to her and my friend Jacqueline was carrying her to me. Lila showed me the scrape on her elbow and I thought that was her only injury until Jacqueline showed me all of the blood on her hands. It took us a little while to find the source of the blood but when I turned her around and saw her blond hair matted and red I almost lost it. Once I sat down on the bench and looked at it with my friends I calmed down. It wasn't that big, but it was a hole so I decided to take her to the ER. When Lila heard we were going to have to make a trip to the hospital she got pretty upset. She tried to convince everyone there that the trip was unnecessary. "It's okay guys! I don't have to go to the hos-tible. My Daddy can fix it when he gets home! I am okay. I will take a deep breath."
Liliana was SO BRAVE on the drive to the hospital. She took deep breaths and even though I could tell that she was scared because her bottom lip and chin were shaking, she managed to only have a couple crying outbursts throughout the ordeal. At one point I told her, "Liliana, you are being such a good girl," and she said, "I am not a good girl, I am a brave girl." She really wanted her Daddy (he came so quickly to meet us) and her greatest concern was that they would cut her "long, Rapunzel hair". I think that Will holding her hand on the way there helped her through it.
Kristin came with me and was such a big help with Aubrey until Lara was able to come pick her up. Liliana was really brave at the hospital also and told every person we encountered that he Daddy was coming to help her and that she didn't want her hair cut. They had movies, a couple toys, and a popsicle for her when the ordeal was over. She ended up with 4 staples and is very proud of her big-girl ouchie. She has been bragging about it to everyone she sees and wants to show anyone who is interested in seeing it.
Popsicles in the ER. She got spoiled that night with movies in bed, a lollipop, sleeping in our bed, and Daddy took her to get a Rapunzel dress and an Ariel doll. (Retail therapy works at any age.) She was also visited by Aubrey and her parents and Will and Kristin, and they all brought flowers and small gifts. All of this helped her feel better quickly. The only time she complained about the pain after the accident was if I was putting Neosporin on it. Tough cookie!


1 comment:
I can't believe how brave she is & you are! I would have lost it. I even teared up reading your blog post!
Post a Comment