Maverick

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Liliana

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 6, 2009

"You're Gonna Miss This"

I am not a huge country music fan, but Adam occasionally has it on the radio. When I was pregnant I heard the Trace Adkin's song,"You're Gonna Miss This," and it has accidentally become one of the most 'played' songs on the soundtrack of Liliana's life in my head. 
When she was a newborn and was waking to feed every 2-3 hours I would sing it to myself and smile as I nursed her back to sleep. When she was a few months old and went through the phase of teaching herself how to fall asleep and be on a schedule, I would sing it to myself as I rocked my sweet, crying baby to sleep. When she had difficult days where she was fussy and didn't want to be put down, I sung it to myself and knew that there would come a day when she wouldn't need me as much...and I'm sure it will come sooner than I want it to. I know that there will be many moments in her life where this song will be appropriate. I cherish every second with her and I don't take anything for granted. 
We have been letting Liliana "fuss" for 15-30 minutes a night so that she can learn to sleep through the night without me having to get up to nurse her. She has been doing WONDERFUL for the past couple of weeks and I haven't had to get out of bed to feed her. Last night she woke up and could not settle herself back down to sleep (she didn't take either of her naps during the day because I was dragging her around with me, which probably had something to do with it). I went in to feed her, sang the song, and cried as I nursed and rocked her in our special chair. She was holding on to me so tight and we were looking into each others' eyes the entire time. I rubbed her head and when she was done nursing, we sat together looking at each other for a while. I knew that it was probably one of the last times that I would get up and nurse her in the middle of the night and I hummed the song to her as I rocked her. I didn't want to put her back in her crib. 
I know that most moms look forward to the time that their babies sleep through the night--and I am excited for that stage too--but I also realize that I will miss this, and I will want this back...

5 comments:

Rose Anthony said...

That made me cry. Lila is so sweet with her hugs (and her full mouth kisses). What a special girl, and a good mommy.
- Lila's grandma.

Kelly Schwarz said...

Jeez Tracy! You made me cry! So sweet!

Walters Family said...

I am totally crying!!!! You are the best Mom and that is such a sweet moment!

laurenkutz said...

And now I'm crying too! I can totally relate- even in the middle of the night when I'm awake and exhausted, it makes me realize that it won't be like this for long. Cherish every moment!

gramps anthony said...

OK, Group HUG!!! we are all crying and I am soooo jealous. What an incredibly poignant description Lade....thank you for sharing. It helps me and grandma jonz be closer to the little bean. We love you. Adam, Happy B'day you drunk!!!