Maverick

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Liliana

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Maverick is 5 months old

We discovered that Maverick knew how to sit up on his 5 month birthday to the date! He can also move around in a circle when he's on his belly to get things he needs.

-He is starting to experiment with language. "Momma" is his first word and there is no doubt that he is saying it and not just babbling. He says it when he reaches for me, when he is crying in his crib (more on that later), and when he is with someone else and looking for me. He has also said a few other words a handful of times..."Lila", "Bahmp" (a derivative of "Bahmpa" which is the name that Liliana used to call her Grandpa when she was a baby and has since taken up calling him again and even shortened it to just "Bahmp"), "gamma", and "Da-da". He doesn't use these words regularly, but he has definitely said them before and used them in ways that there is no doubt that it was just a babbling coincidence. Even when he is not saying intelligible words, he is always "talking". He is a noisy little guy who loves the sound of his own voice. When he is having a lot of fun he does a high pitch squeal that is very cute.

-It is hard to complain when it comes to Mr. Maverick because he is truly such a sweet, happy baby who doesn't cry...but he is a HORRIBLE sleeper. I have tried so many things to get him on track--being strict about not letting him sleep with me (which I hate), being good about him having all of his naps at home for over a week (which is near impossible when you have a big kid who is always on the go), starting the bedtime routine earlier and making it last longer so that he is calm before bed, trying to make him self soothe instead of rocking and nursing him to sleep (aka "cry it out" which is painful for me). None of these methods have been the ticket. He has some "good" naps (an hour to an hour and a half), but most are 30-45 minutes. He occasionally sleeps "okay" at night (only waking 3-4 times) but usually he is up every 2 hours and takes a while to go back down in between. I am obsessed with his sleep not just because I am tired (which I am, but I am also frighteningly used to the sleep derivation at this point), but more because I am worried about his health and know that sleep is good for him! He has had a chronic cough and a bout with RSV since he was 6 weeks old. I want him to sleep so that he can be healthy.

-Maverick started solids this month. When he got sick with RSV he also got a double ear infection. From what I hear, they often go hand in hand. We had to put him on antibiotics this time (he was so sick that I didn't want to risk it and take the time to try to cure it homeopathically like I did last time) and the medicine made his stomach upset and gave him diarrhea. I had planned on waiting to give him solids until 6 months, but I was looking for something to bind his tummy and not make his poops so watery and I thought that solids might help. Not sure if they really did, but he really likes food! So far he has had oatmeal, rice cereal, broccoli, avocados, apples, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Sweet potatoes are by far his favorite. He also likes to snack on Mum-Mums and drink water.








No comments: