School and swimming lessons are going great. I was thinking of putting her in school 2 half days a week, but I tried it for a month and I missed her too much so I am waiting until September. She isn't doing ballet this session because her calendar is pretty full right now and we were having trouble fitting it all in.
Like all parents, I wish I wrote down all of the moments that made me laugh. But there are a handful each day, and I am usually busy with a handful of kids, so I laugh about the moments at night with Adam before bed and they fade away. I am going to try very hard to be better about it. I'm mad at myself because I don't have many quotes for this post.
"Mommy, I LOVE YOU!!":
On the last post I was ready to ship my sassy little baby off to sea--or at lease 2 days at Ms. Linnie's. But, just a couple weeks after I wrote that things got better at our house. I swear I feel like a black cloud was lifted from her mood. Don't get me wrong, we have a few tantrums a day around here--almost always about clothes (more on that later in the post), but her overall mood has improved. Maybe she just grew out of it, maybe it's because Ben is finally on the same nap schedule and we can spend our days at the park again with other big kids, or maybe because she didn't want to be away from me for 2 half days...whatever the reason, she has been my sweet little angel baby again for well over a month and I can't get enough. At the very least, every half hour she says out of the blue, "Mommy, I love you!" and she gives me a big kiss. She has always (even in her darkest days) been a love bug, but this is over the top. She leaves my face wet and slobbery with kisses. When I drop her off at school she wraps her arms around me and squeezes the heck out of me and always says, "Mommy, I love you. I will miss you. See you soon." And when I pick her up, "MOMMY?!? I LOVE YOU!!!! Let's go home!!" These moments are precious and priceless and the best part of being a mommy. The other day when I picked her up from school her love for me was so palpable that every adult in the room teared up and all agreed, "those are the moments we moms live for."
Curious Little Girl:
I try SOOOOO hard not to sound the least bit annoyed as I answer her 1,000+ "WHY...WHY...WHY" questions a day. Lila Rose DOES NOT STOP talking. The phrase, "you just talk to hear your head rattle" comes back to me from my childhood as I answer her incessant questioning and listen to her chatter my ear off about nothing and everything all at the same time. The "why's" drive me crazy at times because they lead me down a path of no definite answer, but lately her questioning has become more focused and intelligent.
I mentioned a few facts about "living things" lately and she obviously took an interest in it and soaked it all up. While walking home from the park the other day...
L: Mom, is that squirrel a living thing?
M: Yes, do you know why?
L: It moves?
M: Well, yes but plants don't move and they are living, right?
L: Yes, plants are living. That's why we can't pick flowers without asking. Living things need water. Plants suck it up in their straw stem!"
And this morning on the way to school...
L: "Who lives in those big trees?
M: Ummm...nobody lives in the trees.
L: Yes they do Mommy!!! Birds and monkeys and squirrels live in trees!!
M: That's true! You are right and very smart.
L: I want to catch the birds and hold them.
M: You can't. Birds are skittish and usually don't like people to catch them.
L: Oh, Snow White holds them, but 'ack-sh-ully' that's just pretend, right?
M: Yes! You are smart. I love you.
L: WHY?....
She is also asking for definitions a lot lately. Ex: "Mom, what does 'fairytale' mean?"
"I 'Ah-sept' your apology":
I can't decide if she misunderstands the use of this phrase or if she is really trying to forgive me. Every time she does something naughty and she is punished she cries her eyes out and yells between tears..."Mom, I'm sorry! And, I Ah-sept your apology!!"
Turn it up!:
When a song comes on the radio that Liliana knows and likes she yells for me to turn it up. "OHHHH!!! We LOVE this song! It's our favo-wit! Turn it up! MORE! LOUDER!! ALL THE WAY UP MOM!" We often take it to volumes that are definitely questionable for a little one's ears. Her fave music these days is Katie Perry, Rhianna, Adele, Cee-Lo, Black Eyed Peas and anything catchy and hip hop. She cracks me up every day with the new songs that she has picked up from the radio. Her babysitter was laughing the other night because she heard Liliana singing herself to bed on the monitor with Cee-Lo's "Forget You".
She can hear a few chords of the beginning of the song and call out the artist or title. She is pretty good at the "Don't Forget the Lyrics" Game. Adam and I sing a few words and she fills it right in.
Clothes:
Getting dressed is still the highest point of tension in our day. She picks her clothes (down to the panties and accessories) out the night before, but somehow there are still tears EVERY morning....and afternoon...and night. She cries over her pajamas and cozy clothes. She doesn't think that some things match or "go" and she is really particular about texture. Her new obsession is that her dresses be down to the floor--and she really means it--not calf length, not ankle length--it must be skimming or dragging on the floor. Hey, maxi-dresses are in! This type of dress is a little hard to play in, but at this point I pick my battles and let her wear it when I can. She wears questionable outfits at times (ankle-length veil to school the other day, pink/feathered high heels with her bikini to a pool party) but she is very into it and it is VERY important to her, so I give in on some ridiculousness.
"Just Choking":
Lila is learning how to tell "chokes". It started a couple weeks ago when she started yelling nonsense words at me in the car and cracking herself up. When I asked her what she was doing she said, "I'm just choking you." Now she says almost daily, "let's tell chokes!"
"Glad to meetchoo":
She has always been friendly and says hi to people and asks their name when we are out and about. Lately she has been following up her introductions with, "glad to meetchoo!" This past weekend in San Diego she
Sounding grown up:
The way that she talks these days sounds so grown up. She starts her conversations and sentences with "so" and "well" and "ac-shully" (actually) makes its way into most of her sentences. Ex: "Sooo, Poppa, yesterday I had a busy day." I took her shopping with me the other day and I was torn between 2 pairs of shoes, so I asked for Liliana's opinion. "Well, they both look cute on you Mom. Ac-shully, I like those the best." She also tells me that certain toys are, "too precious" to share. The way she says it in her drawn-out, dramatic speech sounds so cute.
Aubrey and Liliana on the train at Zoomars


1 comment:
she is just too cute! i love her so much & miss her already!
Post a Comment